Search This Blog

2011/08/26

Are you more stubborn than a 5th grader?

Not sure about the whole 'smarter than a 5th grader' game. However, I recall being one stubborn 5th grader. I once asked myself: "If I have been speaking English my entire life, why do I have to endure these lectures, textbooks, rules, exercises, and homework? This is all frustratingly tedious and difficult. I disagree that it is at all necessary. So in protest, I will no longer apply myself to the English lessons." (Or thoughts to that effect). Besides, math, science and field trips were much more interesting.

I have been paying the price ever since. Part of my debt came due in Mr. Wilbur's class at Analy High School. I was amazed when he stated confidently "We will all together write a poem before the end of this class". Astounding! I was skeptical. Then he proceeded to solicit the class for topics, engage us in exploring the topics, lead us to generate some connections around a theme, and then to express the elements in a general poetic frame. Excitement grew as the class saw a structure begin to take shape and we began generating even more elements. With a little rearranging, next thing you know we had a poem. And it was not bad and was completed in much less than the class hour. It made an impression on me.

The remainder of my debt to the English language was due and payable at S.R.J.C.  The English 1A class included use of a style reference text (Brown or something similar) and a limited review of the basics, both of which were quite helpful.  To my relief, I made it through. The 1B class included study of literature and writing essays. Fortunately I had picked up enough language skills along the way and I was just arriving at a level of maturity and life experience where I could write. Then it clicked. I had hit a stride. Later in the 1B class rather than straining to finish an assignment I found myself once or twice having to edit a paper down to the maximum 8 or 10 pages.

Over the years I have been able to function just fine at home and work, however I still have trouble with the parts of speech and fundamentals of the language. One excellent resource is the series of picture books by Ruth Heller. It may sound funny, but being written for young children they are much more fun than a style manual. I have been meaning to take a look at those books once-in-a-while to see if I can recover a little better grasp of my letters. In a way it makes sense that I am inclined to return to a book that would have been a great help at the time of my fateful decision.

It is amazing how the consequences of our choices ripple through our lives.

1 comment:

  1. I just noticed the title of the first post answers the question posed in the title of the second post...

    The Universe (or somebody) does indeed have a sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete